Thursday, January 8, 2015

Practice


                                                                   Practice does NOT come easy for me. Whether it is the shakuhachi, classical or electric guitar, languages or even daily chores. Always has been this way for the most part, with some exceptions, like running. Now, shakuhachi seems to be a bit different this year. Like mentioned in previous posts, I have been changing in this regard and getting MUCH better at practice. Even if only five minutes, I make the time to do so. Since Hideo has entered my life, I have played him EVERY DAY. Some short moments, some long.
But even those few moments are helping me make progress. As I still very much am a beginner , even after three years of on and off playing, my progress is positive for me. Other than scales, breathing exercises, and two songs I now have memorized, so much is out of reach. For now. I've learned " Hi no maru" when taking lessons with Sensei Tyrrell and have that down well. At the beginning of December I really worked hard on " Yuyake Koyake" and have finally accomplished that.





             

 This is a page from my workbook, showing the two songs I have learned. Not sure if i want to learn ALL of the folk songs in this book as some are simply not  joy for me. So I simply pick and choose which I like and go from there.














The book I'm currently studying in is by Masayuki Koga. This was recommended by my teacher when I had to stop lessons due to finances. I hated to do that but it was necessary. This is a delightful book and I can see why it is recommended.

So here is where I am at currently. I'm getting in between 5 to 30 minutes a day in practice and then some if I can. Also, I listen to music when running sometimes, and that helps sort some things out.  Now, to increase that total a little more and progress to learning a song a month.

3 comments:

  1. I started also with these Songs, really enjoyed them. Still one of my favs is Kojo no tsuki which is such a beautiful piece! Gambatte! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kuchiba! I shall also look up that song you have mentioned. :-)

      Delete
  2. What is in this book, and where did you find it? Amazon.

    ReplyDelete