Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Books,books,books!!!


                                                                        While I practice daily and try to get in some playing time with the flutes, I also love to read and digest everything I can that has to do with the shakuhachi.
This has lead me to collect every book I can regarding my beloved instrument and to build a library that showcases the available literature. I'm really fortunate in having found some of these for low prices.

                                                                          The primary hardcover volumes in my collection are bound articles from the International Shakuhachi Society in two large editions that are not really easy to locate.


                                                                             I cannot imagine NOT having these in the collection as they are invaluable. If you can get a hold of them, do so.
    Then there are the books that combine playing manuals with a history and or biographical travels by well known shakuhachi players.






These two volumes are delightful adventures of both Ray Brooks and Christopher Blaisdel and how they studied the shakuhachi and their experiences with some of the world's masters. Essential in everyone's library!!










 



Then there is this volume, also by Christopher Blaisdel, which is filled to the brim with not only how to play but a detailed history and photos scores and almost everything one can imagine. Simply one of the best shakuhachi books ever written!!


So these are a few of my favourite things! Yeah, really corny. Oh well, what the hell. :-P




No comments:

Post a Comment