Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The shadow that seeks the sun: new book by Ray Brooks


                                                  Years ago when I started my shakuhachi journey, every book available on that beautiful flute became a goal. My library simply had to own it and become part of the future education in my adventures. Among those volumes was a superb book by Ray Brooks, entitled "Blowing Zen". This detailed his studies and adventures while learning the shakuhachi and only strengthened my resolve to give it a go myself! My own studies progressed but time and life changed my study time as well as availability for lessons in many ways. Still, I love and adore my flutes while continuing to practice and learn when I can.

                                                   Fast forward to the current year of 2016. When I had read of a new volume from one of my favourites, I set about seeking out more information. The new book, just released, is entitled "The shadow that seeks the sun: a story about yogis, bhogis, and an unexpected encounter"


My first question was....is this about the shakuhachi as well or truly about experiences with yogis and a tome about India? Soon I would find this out as my copy was now on it's way to my humble abode in Washington State. Within a few days of it's arrival, the book was in my hands and being digested by my excited eyes.The answer to my question about inclusion of the shakuhachi was answered rather quickly. This was not another book about that subject though it was indeed mentioned a few times in context to the author's discussions in India. This book was going to prove a true delight in it's writing and style, for starters, but also as an eye opening volume about ourselves and how we perceive life itself. Ray starts this book with the meeting of various colourful people and their way of life in that just as colourful sub continent. But from there he moves from experience to experience, The introduction of a man named Rudra would prove to be a pivotal point in his quest for knowledge and wisdom after years of seeking true answers to life's always present problems. From studies with Krishnamurti in California to Rishikesh, India, Ray Brooks takes us to places we want to visit, places we need to see and places in our heart and mind that need inspection. Along the way he meets amazing people, from Crybaby and Sachin to Ram Prasad and the above mentioned Rudra. 



Certainly not wanting to give away the story nor the very enjoyable experiences Ray writes about, I will say that this book was a delightful read and makes me so look forward in anticipation to the next book!! Travel along with Ray Brooks during this journey and discover a different world, a quest for deep insight and become part of this every growing world we live in.

                                           A highly recommended read for sure!
                                      It can be ordered on Amazon or at Ray Brooks


Seumas Dòmhnal Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment