Friday, October 14, 2016

Breathe!!



                As shakuhachi players, or flute and woodwind players in general, we all know how important breathing is and the capacity involved. Sure, some flutes and instruments are easier when it comes to blowing, depending on the reed or method. A fipple style Native American flute or a whistle is a LOT easier to play, as one simply blows. But, that doesn't mean breathing is unimportant. It is just that one can concentrate on the sounds and music easier w/o worrying about an embouchere.

                 This is why I believe the shakuhachi and other instruments with a needed embouchere are so much more difficult. When I started to play Native American rim blown flutes back in 2010, it was quite the learning experience for me. It most definitely gave me a high appreciation of the artisty, dedication and hard work that is needed by players. And while I was able to learn the embouchere on all of my flutes and can attain it right away, that means nothing unless the music comes forth.



   So, this means I need to work on this MUCH more than I have. And that is where I want to focus my practice right now. Songs that I know, and there are only a few, can be used for this. but learning new material will take a back seat while I play Ro or Tsu for longer sessions and get my capacity worked up to longer than 30 seconds.

                      THAT...is what i will be devoting my practice to for the rest of the year!







1 comment:

  1. Nice blog
    Thanks for sharing information.
    Most flutists are constantly working on sound production and tone as they continue their music education. Oftentimes they may put too much focus on the actual instrument rather than on the operator of it.Vukan milin
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete